What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy (HBO) is a treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen in a high-pressure chamber. It is an FDA-approved medical treatment that allows your body to take in more oxygen. As a result, increased oxygen in your tissues and plasma enhances energy and eliminates accumulated toxins. Therefore, this treatment can be beneficial for many health conditions like Lyme disease, PTSD, Autism and many more.
At Hughes Center for Functional Medicine, we have a state-of-the-art, free-standing Hyperbaric Oxygen facility with 36-inch Sechrist monoplace hyperbaric chambers. Treatments are administered by our Certified Hyperbaric Technicians.
You’ll feel safe and comfortable in our Hyperbaric Therapy facility. First, all you have to do is enter the single-person chamber and lie down for 60 to 90 minutes. There, you can choose to watch a movie, listen to music, or sleep. Throughout treatment, trained technicians will monitor your treatment, and you can communicate easily with them through an intercom.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you prepare for your treatment:
- A Chest X-Ray is required before starting treatment.
- You must wear 100% cotton clothing without buttons, zippers or embellishments. This attire is provided for your convenience.
- Do not apply any personal care products prior to treatment, including cosmetics, hair products, skin care products, deodorant, perfume or nail polish.
- Do not consume any carbonated beverages or smoke tobacco for two hours prior to treatment.
- Items not allowed in the chamber include jewelry, paper products, toys, electronic devices, hearing aids and hard contact lenses.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy provides many medical benefits including:
- Increased oxygen in tissues
- Enhanced growth of new blood vessels
- Harmful bacteria destroyed
- Enhanced ability of white blood cells to fight bacteria and debris in the body
- Increased growth of cells that form reparative tissue
- Enhanced metabolic activity
As a result, Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy can help with the following:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Lyme disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Head injury
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Traumatic brain injury
- Diabetic ulcers
- Radiation tissue damage
- Wound healing and surgical recovery
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome (RSD)
- Sports injuries
- Muscle recovery
- Peripheral neuropathy
For a full list of conditions Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can treat or to learn more, please call our Hyperbaric Oxygen facility at (239) 434-9699.